Module Menu >>
MODULE: Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Deficits in communicative ability are a defining feature of ASD.
- Deficits in communication can sometimes lead to or contribute to behavioral difficulties.
- PECS can be effectively used to increase communicative initiations of learners with ASD.
- PECS has the potential to increase vocalizations of learners with ASD.
- PECS can be used across settings and with a variety of communicative partners.
- Effective implementation of PECS involves careful preparation of training materials, identification of multiple reinforcers, involvement of others to act as helpers and communicative partners, many opportunities for communication exchanges, and monitoring of learner progress across the six phases.
<< back | next >>